I took the release of Snow Leopard as an opportunity to do a clean wipe and re-install of Leopard and Snow Leopard. As usual, Dan Benjamin has a great series of articles on getting the latest and greatest setup.
I aggregated these articles into a bash script to automate installing MySQL, Ruby, Rails, RubyGems and Git.
As Dan mentions, the prerequisites for this script are:
- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
- The latest Xcode Tools (from the Snow Leopard DVD or downloaded from Apple — the 10.5 version won’t work)
- Confidence running UNIX commands using the Terminal
- This has only been tested on a completely fresh install of Snow Leopard, not recommended for upgrades
- This will overwrite your existing ~/.profile
- Download and extract the following gist: http://gist.github.com/178699
$ sudo sh
When finished you will have 64-bit versions of MySQL, Ruby, Rails, RubyGems, and Git.
BONUS! Get the installers for Firefox, Adium and Textmate http://gist.github.com/178773